W E L C O M E

No. 1                                                          June 24, 1994

I would like to welcome the first subscribers to this new list. I hope that
as many people as possible will voice their opinions and contribute to the
list. As stated in the "welcome" message this list is dedicated to all
facets of the book arts: binding, conservation, decorated papers, printing,
papermaking, typography, graphic design, and any combinations of the above.

As people join, I think it would be nice if they would describe themselves
and their interests. This will give me, and the others on the list an idea
of who's "out there."

My "expertise" lies in binding and conservation. I also am an avid
pastepaper maker, and dabble in graphic design. I started out in the field
as a work-study student in the conservation department of the Johns Hopkins
University. I interned in a museum bindery in Germany, and following my
graduation from college apprenticed in hand bookbinding, also in Germany.
After completion of my "Gesellenpr!fung" I studied book and paper
conservation at the Centro del bel Libro in Ascona, Switzerland. Since
returning to "the states" I have worked in private practice and recently for
institutions, still continuing with my private work. I am also the
exhibitions chairman of the Guild of Book Workers, and have exhibited my
work with that group as well as other regional and local organizations. I
have my first "real" solo exhibition in Auburn, NY next month.

___________________

>From time to time (as things are received) I will review, list, mention
publications, exhibitions, workshops... I hope that others will send and do
the same. The more, diverse, contributions, the better the list becomes.
____________________

The Guild of Book Workers Journal for 1992 has just come out. In it is an
excellent article on making cradles and supports for exhibiting books. The
article is written by Linda Blaser who worked at the Library of Congress in
the 70's and is currently working on a grant at the Folger Shakespeare
Library.

Also published are summaries of Hedi Kyle's and Don Etherington's
presentations at the Guild's Standards Conference  in Bloomington, IN. Hedi,
writes about her experiences in making enclosures for rare materials at the
American Philosophical Society. These range from simple folders and phase
boxes to more elaborate constructions such as multisection slipcases and
"oriental magic folders" which allow both sides of an encapsulated document
to be viewed.

Don Etherington describes his method of doing hinge/joint repairs on leather
and cloth case bindings. What makes his method, a method which as been
adopted and adapted by most conservators, special is that it involves
minimal intervention with the orignal substance of the volume. The repairs
are carried out using Japanese paper. While this method is not suited for
all books, it has proven itself to be very durable, aesthetically pleasing,
simple and time saving.

Copies can be ordered by writing to: Frank Mowery, Folger Shakespeare
Library, 201 East Capitol St, SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. Please also
include a check made out to the Guild of Book Workers for $5.00.

____________________

Chicago Hand Bookbinders, a very active group, has recently (1993) published
a catalog of it's 15th Anniversary Exhibition. The exhibition had the same
theme as the Guild's exhibition Fine Printers Finely Bound Too, with which
it opened at the Newberry Library, namely finely printed books in
exceptional bindings. Both of these were juried exhibitions. CHB's catalog,
is printed as a series of 25 postcards in a reinforced pastepaper covered
"matchbox" which was designed by Robin Howell who exhibited in both shows.
For information on where to get a copy write to Chicago Hand Bookbinders, PO
Box 802998, Chicago, IL 60680-2998. I highly recommend it.

The Guild of Book Workers also has many exhibition catalogs available,
including the two most recent major exhibitions: 80 Years Later and Fine
Printers Finely Bound Too which is ending it's 2 year run at Cornell
University this month. FPFBT is illustrated in color and includes never
before shown books by some of the finest presses and binders at work in this
country today. For more information write to the Guild of Book Workers at
521 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10175.

____________________

Gaylord Bros. has just published a series of (3) pamphlets addressing
several preservation concerns among them the archival storage of paper,
photographs, as well as an introduction to preservation with a very complete
bibliography. These can be obtained free of charge from Gaylord
1-800-448-6160. Ask for the Presevation Pathfinder Series.

___________________

On the lighter side, a book has recently come to my attention. The title is
"The Sixteen Pleasures," by Robert Hellenga, Soho Press, 1994.

Briefly, the plot is a woman conservator at the Newberry Library picks up
and goes to Florence after the flood of 1966 to lend a hand. Once there she
dicovers a 16th century book of erotica which the Pope ordered destroyed.
This is the last know copy and it was found in a cloister whose Mothe
Superior wishes to sell it, DISCREETLY. I just began it and find it
interesting and well written. I invite anyone who reads it send their
impressions, especially any technical or art historical discrepencies.

Please send any submissions to the "Newsletter" to Peter Verheyen,
pdv1@cornell.edu. They will be collected and posted as soon as enough
material has arrived. Beyond that, let's get some good dialogues about the
state of the craft and anything else related going.

                        Thank you for your interest