introduction

Hello,

    While no imposter, I am very new to the book arts.  For the past year I
have been an apprentice at the King Library Press at the Univesity of Kentucky.
I suspect very few people on the list will have heard of this Press, as it
usually takes between 2 and 3 years for us to publish a single title, and those
books are rarely seen outside of Kentucky's border.

    I cannot claim any area of expertise in the book arts, but I do harbor a
special fondness for the work of Victor Hammer who, incidentally, spent a
considerable portion of his life here in Lexington.  The University of Kentucky
owns a good amount of Hammer material, including the original wooden press
Victor had built for his _Stamperia del Santuccio_, so his presence is felt
constantly.

    If I could, I would devote all of my time to working at the Press, which is
run on a volunteer basis, but other obligations eat up most of my time.  In
addition to working in the Press I am working towards my MLS, hoping to
work as a conservator or in Special Collections.  If all goes very well, I also
hope to found, along with another friend, a small book arts press of my own
someday.  I imagine many of my questions will have this goal in mind.

Looking forward to future discussions,

Patrick Points
Special Collections and Archives
Margaret I. King Library