definitions

On Tue, 28 Jun 1994 LABN@db1.cc.rochester.edu wrote:

> #1 What is the definition of "book", "artist's book", "fine binding",
> and /or "book binding".

i think establishing some sort of terms are essential to this
discussion.  call me a luddite, but i do believe there is a difference
between art, craft, and design. i went to a panel discussion on the
difference between art and craft a couple months ago. one panelist, i
forget his name, made the statement that craft is a material in search of
an idea, and art is an idea in search of a material. but of course both
these processes go on in a craft or artistic creation.

i guess there are also material biases that influence whether one
considers something art or craft.  an artist was making a series of
spheres, some in cement, some in clay.  her dealer told her the cement
ones were art, and the clay were craft, and of course the art was worth
two times as much.

>> #2 What are the aspects of an object that make it described as a "book".
heres the short answer via Foucualt- if it is entered into the arena of
discourse.

jeff