Re: definitions

On Thu, 30 Jun 1994 13:27:12 -0400,
LABN@db1.cc.rochester.edu  <LABN@db1.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:

>Is a "craft done with distinction not an "art"?

What do you mean by a "craft"?

> "art" quilts that not only were beautifuly
>crafted (there's that word again) but stunning visual explorations as well.

I do not totally accept that an item well made and beautiful must be "ART".
It seems to me that something more is required.  Does it give us something
unique, creative, and superior skill in mastering the medium?  Something
new?  Perhaps that one quilt in hundreds, thousands?, shows true creative
abilities and can be called ART.

>(actually I still like to think it's just magic :-) .

I agree.  Perhaps that's the shimmer lurking in ART that's so hard to
pin down but missing in a craft? :)

>it concludes with the idea that  anything done with distinction may be
>considered an art.

But is it ART?

Thanks, Laura.  Great discussion!

Ms. Claudia M. Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery

cstall@library.sdsu.edu
594-2591

Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently.