Quilts

I can't resist the temptation to pick up the thread on quilts with
an anecdote which appears in a article in the current issue of *The
Chronicle of Philanthropy* and concerns a woman who has developed
a highly successful crafts consortium in North Carolina.  Contract
work is broken down into assignments untaken by several hundred
women, most working from their homes, part and full-time.  The
economic impact has been considerable, and perhaps more considerable
has been the impact on the women's sense of personal worth, or so
the story reports..

The manager, in any case, recently learned that a quilt made by three
women, 65, 75 and 85, had been purchased by Paul Newman.  She called
the youngest to share the news, and the woman responded, "And my
husband and kids all told me nobody would ever buy anything I made."
The 75 year old said, "Why, I would have given it to *him*."  The
85 year old met the announcement with dead silence, and the manager,
thinking perhaps she was more deaf than she recalled, repeated the
message more loudly.  The woman answered, "Oh, I heard you the first
time, honey.  I'm just imagining.  Paul Newman's buns on my quilt."

Sid Huttner, The University of Tulsa.