Re: definitions

Although I have not yet fully digested all of the input thus far in this "what
is art" debate/discussion, the issue of agency particularly interests me and I
must comment.  Not far from my home, a group called Art Attack has "remodeled"
an old farmhouse.  Essentially, they have removed the front section of the roof
and placed it on the ground in front of the house (inverted and filled with
water--the roof now reflects the image of the house)  There are other details
that have been altered to give the house the appearance of being half-completed
rather than half-demolished.  (It will, in fact, be demolished this weekend).
With that in mind, is this work art because it has been altered by artists,
when the original intention (and use) was for it to be utlitarian?  Likewise,
does a finely bound book become art merely because of the binding, although
the authors intent of the contents may have been utilitarian? This can work
inversly, as a fine artbook or other such volume may have a very plain binding,
yet contain marbelized paper, etc...  I find that the declaration of something
as an art object has too have two sides.  The creator, facilitator, etc. may de
clare the object art, to the chagrin of the audience; but I also feel that the
observor of some object, particularly an object that has "outlived" its creator
may be deemed "art" or "not art" by the observor, and should not offend others,
as those others should be free to make their own decisions.

On another note, to those seeking paper-making supplies, the Pearl Discount Art
and Craft supply chain (which I believe may only be a Northeastern chain) does
tend to carry deckles, pulp, frames and screens, and sometimes, how-to
type materials....Next time I am there I will inquire as to other locations...

Have a nice weekend, all.

                     Rebecca

p.s. I wonder, are fireworks public art?