Re: Introduction

<SFH@vax2.utulsa.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <book_arts-l@cornell.edu>
> Subject:       Introduction
> Date:          Sat, 2 Jul 1994 11:22:47 -0400

> Having made these several posting on "definitions" I expect I
> have an obligation to get around to introducing myself.
>
> I have lived with books pretty much all my life, buying them,
> bringing them home from libraries, reading them.  I saw them in
> new lights, however, when in 1970, after college (Chicago), a
> Woodrow Wilson Fellowship at Stanford, some life experience and
> an MA in philosophy (Chicago), I went to work in the special
> collections department of the then new Joseph Regenstein Library
> at the University of Chicago.  I'd been on staff only a few weeks
> when I was told it was my turn, among other things, to administer

Everytime I see a list-serv I fear it's going to be the most tedious
outpouring of personal opinions by folks who have tremulously
waited for just such an opportunity. This art/craft discussion does not
persuade me I'm wrong. Nonetheless I'll add a line
or two. I think Sid is on the right wave by talking of intention  as a key
difference between art and craft. that's why we can talk about art that
is "bad" or "failed". The fact that it's perceived as art does not not
protect it from harsh judgements.  (The fact that it's "art" doesn't
mean it's "good" or above judgement.). Neverthgeless, a quilt
that's 50 years old, or is being exhibited in a museum is judged
entirely as "art," not for whether it keeps you warm. It's perceived as
the Keatsian "beauty is truth," and may fetch  a lot of money at an
auction. Its source as a craft-object has been left behind. That may be
a comment on our times, our obsession with collecting things, and
esp with collecting utilitarian objects as a means of rooting ourselves
in a sense of the past and tradition.

bvb

> our binding and preservation program.  That began an education.
>
> Which lead to my becoming a serious, if distinctly amateur,
> binder and maker of protective enclosures, a teacher of
> elementary binding and boxmaking, a collector of old manuals; and
> to an appreciation of papers, leathers, techniques, skills,
> equipment, and history which I take pleasure in imposing on
> others.  Since I have been, for ten years, curator of the special
> collections department at the University of Tulsa, I have special
> opportunities to do this.
>
> About a year ago, the Guild of Book Workers placed a call for a
> volunteer to coordinate book reviews for their newsletter. I had
> just begun a term as book review editor for *Rare Books and
> Manuscripts Librarianship*, and since I was surveying current
> publication lists for items to review in that journal, it seemed
> to me I might easily find reviewable materials for the GBW
> newsletter as well.  It has not proved at all as easy as I
> expected.
>
> I would therefore very much welcome the help of this list, in two
> regards: first, I would be grateful for notice of any recent,
> current, or forthcoming publication you think merits review in
> the *Newletter*; and second, if you would like to review it, I
> would like to know that too.  I have a set of guidelines for
> reviews which I am happy to share.
>
> -----
> Sidney F. Huttner, Curator, Special Collections, The University of
> Tulsa Library, 2933 East 6th Street, Tulsa, OK 74104-3123.
> Ph: 918-631-3133/Fax: 918-631-3791. Internet:
SFH@Vax2.UTulsa.Edu

Regards, John Charles
Bruce Peel Special Collections Library
U. of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta. T6G2J8