No Subject

Definitions:

I do not find the attempt to promote a dichotomy between art and craft
helpful... especially in regards to bookwork. Utility and aesthetics blend
well here (in every degree of proportion), and high quality bookcreations
are spilling over with intentions of every sort. What IS a book? That is
always a fun question. I think it's something that has to open, and say's
"book" to your deepest-held swamp of assumptions... Maybe something
equivalent to blind taste-tests could be rigged if it ever really
mattered.On a serious note, though, I suspect general book-public scrutiny
would soon cast shadows on non-book objects openly brandished as books, even
though a few naked emperors/empresses may slip by.

Appeal:

I would be very interested in seeing for-sale finely printed books (in
sheets or under covers) publicized in this list as I (and my local
colleagues) have found a disturbing paucity of sources here.

Introduction:

I have recently moved from the position of Collections Conservator at
Northwestern University Library to join the 'private sector' as bookbinder
and conservator in Chicago. I also teach classes in bookbinding and
participate in our local club, Chicago Hand Bookbinders.

Scott Kellar
2650 W. Montrose
Chicago, IL  60618
tel: 312-478-2825