Re: questions

In message Wed, 6 Jul 1994 13:55:05 -0400,
  Artemis Bonadea <artemisb@muskox.alaska.edu>  writes:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 1994, Mark Andersson wrote:
>

>>   1.  I am looking for someone who sells marbled papers with coated
>>    (or slick, or shiny--take your pick) surfaces which could be used on
>> 19th   century bindings.
>>

> No one has yet replied to mark's question and since I am curious about it
> as well, I thought I'd add my voice to his.  I am beginning to marble and
> have only used uncoated paper.  I have used SC-6000 and Renaissance Wax
> to coat papers I've used on artists books and blank journals (endsheets
> and cover paper).  Both give a shiny surface to the paper but I don't
> know how these products hold up to conservation
> standards and I have not used them in my repair work.  Any one know about
> this  or have an opinion?

Both of these will work, and both are used quite extensively in
conservation. I think the sc-6000 will be better for what you're doing,
because it gives a more durable shine, but the trick is not using too much
and then getting it put on evenly, because it can be "lumpy and streaky" if
put on too thick. The Renaissance wax is more forgiving in that respect.
It's also not that much fun to put on over a larger area.

As for repair work, the sc-6000 is great when used on morike tissue repairs
to joints, corners, spines because it protects and gives an appearance close
to fine grained leather (smooth) which blends nicely.

Peter Verheyen