Re: definitions

On Wed, 29 Jun 1994 LABN@db1.cc.rochester.edu wrote:

> Just a few more questions for everyone to ponder:
>
> Does a book have to open to be a book?
> Does it have to have pages?
> Is a blank book truly a book, as it contains no information?

Rereading my folder letters this one caught my eye as a bit more
interesting than the art vrs. craft debate which has been with us forever
and probably always will be.  Sincethis is a book arts list and at least
some of us participate in the artist book world, does a book have to open
to be a book?

I subscribe (at this moment) to the theory that some of the historical
structure must be maintained for an object to be considered a book.  It
must have pages of some sort, OR text of some sort OR a mechanical nature
that most people would recognize as a book.  For instance I saw a
student's book at the University of Oregon- Eugene that was spiral
bound in a complete circle.  Even though I couldn't open the book I
recognized what it was because it used a book form that I was familiar
with (spiral bound notebooks).  I recognized it as a statement about
books because I recognized it as a book.

The other option is book objects or book forms.  These pieces use the
book form as a springboard for artwork.  I'm thinking of a handmade
pamphlet I saw matted and framed on the wall.  It was very beautiful
but it was not inended to be handled or read as a book.  The whoe piece
was conceived ( I thought) to be viewed as a piece of art.  The pages
behind the open pages were supportive of the pinnece as a whole, not ment
to be viewed as individual parts of the book.

I do think a blank book is a book because it looks like a book, smells
like a book, functions like a book.  It is capable of being filled with
anything a book is capable of being filled with - world, drawings,
pressed flowers (did I really say that?)

Anyone  else have any thoughts on this?

Artemis