Re: definitions

I am teaching in the bookarts department at Mills College in Oakland, CA.
What is a book? I am struggling to come up with a suscinct definition. The
article Learning to Read Art:the Art of Artists' Books in the New Bookbinder
Vol 13, 1993 by Judith Hoffberg points out that we are still stuggling with
this definition.
The article begins:
"Mallarme said that 'Everything exists in the world order to
become a book'. Today, artists in all countries are proving Mallarme to be
right. From Japan to Germany, artists are involved in creating works of
art in the form of books as a vehicle for expression.  This also involves
a new way of reading, not only with the eyes but also with the hand."
It goes on to talk about the current situation in bookarts. There was also
a previous article by Betty Lou Chaika that I get the students to read. It
was in a previous issue of the New Bookbinder. I am sorry I don't have the
reference with me but I recommend that too.
Among traditional bookbinders there is a general understanding of a book as
far as its physical nature and maybe everything else could be a bookwork?