Re: re:concern

Whatever the original aims of the people setting up the list (Peter's,
for instance), email democracy ensures that it will come to reflect the
interests of the people who use the list.  This is a smaller group of
people than the entire sum of readers. I, frankly, look to it as a possible
source of assistance and information.  When one and a half persons are the
entire repair/conservation "team" for a collection of 1.5 million books no
source of assistance can be overlooked.  My question for the list is how
do you (the other list readers) document what gets destroyed in the process
 of recasing or rebinding older books (say 1850 and earlier)?  Those of you
who are not benchworkers have as much a stake in the question as persons
responsible for maintenance of collections or as friends of books as do
benchfolk.  It seems to me that too much of the descriptive history centers
on decorative features instead of structural ones.  Sewing structure seems
the most obvious feature worthy of record to me, but one is not always able
to record it in concise verbage.  Sewn up, sewn two up, sewn by a drunk in
advanced dementia?
Dorothy Africa
Harvard Law School Library