WARNING

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST MAY CONTAIN MATERIAL OF A PHILOSOPHIC NATURE.
         ANYONE WITH A LOW TOLERENCE PLEASE BE ADVISED.

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994 LABN@db1.cc.rochester.edu wrote:

> How do you see the function of the book?

when we approach a book, it seems we have a different set of expectations
than when we approach a painting or ceramic mug.  even if dealing with a
totally visual book, as opposed to a painting or series of paintings,
there seems to be the aura of a symbolic system. perhaps one
of the main functions of early manuscripts and minitures was to provide a
visible, sculptural presence to wow the illiterate into forking their money
over to the church. a girdle binding for example.

a good current example of how perception of different mediums might be a
comparison of Kieffers paintings and books.
i would love to be able to look through one of Kieffers books and compare
the experience to looking at his paintings. i have only seen photos and
single pages of his books.  i had a friend that used to go to the public
library and check out a stack of books, bring them home, set them on the
table, and say "book, what do i want from you" when he had figured it
out, he returned them, unread.

jeff