Artist's Books

I have been following recent discussions with great interest, and while I do
not wish to belabour the issue of art versus craft, I would like to know how
others define the term "artist's book", or even if such a term defies
definition.   I've been examining exhibition catalogues, and just when I
believe I have an understanding of the works which have been categorized in
this way, I see something that does not fit the schema....

I would very much appreciate any insights into this term and how it is
viewed/used by others.

Katherine Matthews
Preservation Office
National Library of Canada