documentation

in relation to the subject of documenting what gets destroyed when repairing
and rebinding 19 th century, is it suggested that this be applied to
circulating books?  what methods would one use to organize this information?
paper records only? photographs?  how would this information be used?  who
would want this info?

i agree in theory but think that practically it's unfeasible.  currently, i am
the only person in our library doing conservation and am basically responsible
for setting up what conservation does.  for work done on circ. material, my
"conservation treatment form"(ctf) only record of what gets done to a book.
and primarily the ctf documents who, what, and when.  the work load usually
doesn't allow more time for documentation.  how would more documentation be
used by the institution?  who sets the demand and requirements for in depth
documentation?

i have not yet been exposed to the total of randy silverman's work on 19 th
century trade bindings, but i wonder if i'm doing anything worthwhile by
rebacking and repairing the original cover without further documentation.  the
alternative is the commerical binder and we have all been witnessed to the
transformation that takes place there (artifact+text > text).

so, what are your thoughts & opinions?

thanks,
bryan draper, conservation assistant
university of delaware library