Book Shaped Objects

On Thu, 14 Jul 1994, Peter Graham wrote:

> Most of Anselm Kiefer's "books" are simulacra, i.e. they are book-shaped
> objects (BSO's).  One piece is his enormous shelves full of lead books with
> pages of lead sheets.

i am curious what the difference between a book and a book shaped object
is. are there criteria that an object needs to have to become a book?
Websters 2nd. , first definition defines a book as "in general, a written
or printed narrative, record, representation, or series of these"
my interest is very pragmatic- how an object/book is defined affects how/
where is is exibited, collected, written about, etc... .

peter,i had a suprisingly similar experience at that kiefer show, i think it
was called "40 years of solitude" i was looking at the stacks of books on
the table, and a gallery attendant was standing behind an
obviously wealthy prospective customer, letting her flip through the
book. so i went up to the table and opened one. "sir, you are not allowed
to handle these" was the immediate response from the attendant.  "what
about her" i asked, pointing to the other lady. the attendant then said
she would handle the book for the lady, saying to her in a vaguely
english accent "it's politics, you understand."