Re: Artist's Books

Rebecca Stone writes:

|Asking one to define artists' books on a Friday afternoon is a cruel thing
|indeed, but I will take a stab at an answer.  In short, there is no
accepted
|definition.

***I apologize for the arrival time of the message, but I, for one,
appreciated the effort.   This issue of there being no accepted definition
is one which I have seen raised, and one which has now presented itself to
me.   I would like to think that Rebecca is right in saying that if the
creator calls it art, then it is art.   But, then, the difficulty of how to
deal with that word "book" arises, as Rebecca noted in her example of the
scheduling of her paper on artists' books.   I wonder, perhaps, if I just
shouldn't consider these items as something which challenge me to rethink my
conventional view of what a book is, and what it should do.   This might,
indeed, prove a worthwhile process.   However, I then begin to wonder what
the relationship is between "traditional" endeavors in the "book arts" and
artists' books........

I muse aloud, probably another Friday afternoon cruelty, but am most
interested in this issue, and would enjoy hearing from those who practice in
the field of books arts to be able to understand how they view these
issues...

Thanks again,
Katherine

Katherine Matthews