Re: Book Shaped Objects

From:  Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries

I'm fascinated by your anecdote at the gallery; I didn't describe how in my
miffed reaction I made some noise as I left in dudgeon.

A BSO is something shaped like a book that isn't a book.  Kiefer's lead Book
Shaped Objects are in the shape of a book but don't have information on them
(as I understand) nor do I think they have pages that turn, etc.

Actually I take the term from a New Yorker article I read 15 years ago about
young pianists, and how they are constantly on tour.  Apparently among the
young pianists there's a term for the kind of musical instrument they often
ran into in, say, Latin America:  they were occasionally doomed to play on a
PSO, or piano shaped object.  My analogy here doesn't work, because at least
they could play the PSO; one can't read a BSO.  --pg

Peter Graham    psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu    Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903   (908)445-5908; fax (908)445-5888
CHANGE 7/1 from (908)932-xxxx to (908) 445-xxxx (not all of Rutgers changes)