Using MAGNETS to close PHASE BOX flaps.

We are asking for information from anyone that uses MAGNETS as a way of closing PHASE BOX flaps.  We have heard of at least one library that does this procedureinstead of using Velcro or tieing the flaps down.

Question we have are:

1. - Do the Magnets activate your security system when you try to walk out the door with the material?

2. - If you use security strips with the material you have phase boxed; does it cancel out your security strip?  We use the Knogo system.

3. - We are not planning on storing magnet materials in these boxes, but wonder if we should be concerned with the magnets destroying magnet tape, disks, etc. if set next to a phase box with a magnet closed flap?

These are a few questions we have concerning this procedure.

Any comments or questions are welcome.

Many Thanks For Your Time,

Brian D. McKinney
mckinney@medicine.wustl.edu
Washington University School of Medicine Library
St. Louis, MO 63110