Re: Squirreling

Greetings book-folk!
    As I'm on vacation this week, my brain is moving a wee bit slow...Back to
the question of "squirreling" (a joke that was completely lost on my mother,
who became obsessed with the idea that the squirrel may have been rabid---
some days they forget you aren't 7 years old anymore, alas---the concept of
foxing zipped past her never to take root...).  Mostly, I got dirty little paw-
prints, but there are some faint impressions.  I haven't made any paper in a
while and I was experimenting quite a bit (read: in my carelessness, some of
the pages were a bit soggy).  I think that the cat idea is dandy.  Cats are
usually heavier than squirrels, and you could control for the point in the dryi
ng process that you wanted to purr-sue (I'm very very sorry for that, but
refuse to delete it) your imprints.  My poor horse has an ugly foot ailment
right now that requires that his hook be constantly bandaged.  The padded
bandages that they sell for said purpose are so expensive it gives me a pain to
even think about it, so instead, we use diapers.  Yes, disposable baby diapers
(the diapers also lack the scarey chemicals that they put in the commercial
track bandages.) The point her being (now that you are all done laughing at the
vision of horses with huggies secured around their ankles--and it is funny) is
that I've noticed when i change his diaper (the insanity of it) that his hoof
leaves a fascinating imprint in the diaper.  All of this rambling leads me to
wonder, wouldn't nature books (not nec. for children) be wonderful with this
type of imprint in them?  It would be an intersesting experiment, creating the
paper out of materials indigenous to an area, and imprinting it with flora and
fauna and such?  It would, probably also require quite a bit of monetary
assistance, patience and care, and Marlon Perkins and Jim....One wouldn't need
to aim so large as say "The Flora and Fauna of Africa", but it would be an
interesting experiment, and if succesful, an interesting way to interest people
in papermaking who assume that you need lots of time and cash to create
nice paper.  (that's getting away from the animal tracks a bit, but I hope that
you follow.)  Enough daydreaming and rambling on for now.....

                Rebecca Stone
                The American University Library, rs4508a@american.edu