Re: BOOK_ARTS-L digest 49

To: Yehuda Miklaf

I should have mentioned that, in regards to hot stamping, the
polymer plates are of a special type that can withstand heat
up to aproximately 290f. Regular letterpress polymer plates
will probably melt.

Silicone plates can be heated to 400f, and possibly more, however,
thermal conductivity is rather poor, worse even than polymer.

This is the reason I am trying to produce metal stereotypes from
polymer plates. Originally, stereos where produced from metal type
setups so that if you damaged it during printing, you just cast
another stereotype. Today, my reason for them is similar to your
need for polymer plates, that is, to be able to use a computer
generated setup where I can have French accents in any possible
fonts, and also unlimited graphics for gold stamping purposes.

Of course, an allready available alternative to the above, would
be zinc, magnesium or copper plates. These however, are quite
expensive, and require nitric acid etchants. Polymer is water
soluble, and silicone plates are made using a standard vulcanizing
process.

I might add that polymer and silicone plates require different
foils, that releases at lower temperatures.

While I experiment, I will continue using my good old Linotype.

--
#  Lemay Manufacturing                      Fax (819) 986-1544  #