Homemade Inks

A couple of years ago, a book came through the Conservation Unit which was a
letter writing manual.  If I remember correctly, it was mid 19th C, American
imprint.  It contained maybe a hundred sample letters for all possible
ocassions--some were very interesting.  But what I discovered on the last page
which filled me with excitment were recipes for inks.  I was taking a class in
the materials and techniques of drawing at the time, so this discovery was all
the more interesting.  Anyhow, there were two recipes:  one for iron gall ink
and one for red, brazilwood ink.  I know I copied the page and wrote the
citation down, but I cannot locate it now.

Bryan Draper