accessing your catalog

Responding to msg by 0006385936@mcimail.com ("Scott K. Kellar")
on Sun, 9 Oct  7:19 PM

>I saw your info on BookArts but don't know how to 'copy
>this URL to your WWW  Browser'. I have internet access,
>and used the info in the search mode with  no success.
>Any tips? BTW, I have recently had a group of my
>bindings  scanned onto gif format- would be interested
>in collaborating in creating an  archive of images.

Hi Scott-

1. If you don't have a www browser, such as the public domain
NCSA Mosaic or one of the proprietary browsers now coming out,
or an access like Pipeline which has its own browser, then you
can't access images over the World Wide Web. Ask your internet
access co. or, if you're institutional, ask your computer dept.
Once you have the software and an appropriate phone line
connection, you can use your mouse to "copy" the url to the
browser "go" line just like you would any text. If this doesn't
help, ask someone local who has experience to show you how. If
your internet provider doesn't have this, you'll need to change
providers, or go over to a friend's computer who has true
web-browsing capability.

2. I am starting an online gallery at my web site. I haven't
finalized the details yet, but I expect the base cost of
maintaining a single "home page" with one image online with
high speed 24 hour access, with descriptive information and a
short bio, would be about $30/month. Setup will probably be $20
for the first picture, with description and bio of some
reasonable length, and $15 for each additional picture. If you
don't have a gif I can do the scan easily enough from a 35mm
slide, so it would probably add about $5 to the cost. I expect
it will be about $20/month for each additional picture. This is
for pictures of the resolution I am using, which is moderate. I
don't maintaing high-res photos online yet, as modem speeds of
14,400 bps make it an unpleasant wait for the person accessing
them. (If people want higher res images of my work, I have them
for sale.)

I will not be taking a commission on sales like in "street"
galleries. Potential clients would contact you directly by
e-mail, phone or fax. You could present work that is for sale,
or examples of the type of work you do to encourage
commissions.

You could also have your own site with your logo, multiple
pages of hypertext linked data and images, thumbnail pictures
on a home page with links to higher res images, and an
interactive response page that would e-mail directly to you
from the web site. But it costs quite a bit to design it and
set it up, as well as maintain it. A site like "Minsky Online",
with 35 thumbnails, logo, 35 moderate res pictures, and several
texts with hypertext links cost about $10,000 to develop, and
about $300/month to maintain. It's still in development, but
what you'll see now gives you a pretty good idea of how it will
work.

The cost will vary depending on how popular the gallery
becomes. In this type of system you have to pay for every
megabyte transmitted, so if you have a lot of inquiries or
casual browsers it can get expensive. I expect the $30/month
base cost will cover system and line maintenance and the first
1,000 accesses of an image. But this is all very new and I
don't yet know what all the real costs will be. Keeping in mind
that there are maybe 30 million internet users, it is qite
possible one might have 100,000 casual browsers of your image,
and what happens if word gets out that it's interesting and a
million users access it? I have no idea right now what that
would cost, but it could be a lot of money.

I expect to have prices I can commit to by next week, and the
gallery should be on line by December, with full links to www
search engines.

So those are my thoughts tonight abour your inquiry. I'm going
to post this to the book arts list, as I suspect others may
have your same questions. If you think you'd like to proceed
and get your image in the gallery or your own home page set up,
let me know.

                        ...Richard