! Mosaic Netscape !

To all you internet junkies on the list, this is a new www browser which
some but not all of you may be able to use. It is VERY easy to install and
FREE. I've been using CELLO to go to site such as Richard Minsky's and this
might be easier to use and easier on my system since it was designed for use
with a 14.4 modem.

Peter

Originally posted on CU-Lib the listserver of the Cornell University Library

This was forwarded to me by a colleague after David Block asked me if I'd
ever heard of Netscape. - john

>The decision by Mosaic Communications Corporation to make available a
>public beta version of it's breakthrough product, Mosaic Netscape, is
>causing quite a stir on the Internet.  I'm using it and I assure you
>you will be amazed.  I recommend we all start immediately to test drive
>Netscape as a candidate for favorite browser and begin to consider the
>new possibilites it opens for NEEDS.  It is available in Unix, Windows
>and Mac flavors via FTP from ftp.mcom.com /pub/netscape and other sites.

Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP.  Mosaic Netscape is a
built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

You can FTP Mosaic Netscape 0.9 Beta from the following locations:

    ftp.mcom.com in /netscape
    gatekeeper.dec.com in /pub/net/infosys/Mosaic-Comm
    lark.cc.ukans.edu in /Netscape
    ftp.meer.net in /Netscape
    doc.ic.ac.uk in /packages/Netscape
    archie.au in /pub/misc/netscape
    ftp.cica.indiana.edu in /pub/pc/win3/winsock/nscape09.zip (PC only)
    mac.archive.umich.edu in /mac (Mac only)

Please make sure to read the README and LICENSE files.

             Mosaic Netscape 0.9 beta (Macintosh) README

Mosaic Netscape 0.9 (public beta version) is free for your personal use,
subject to the terms detailed in the license agreement accompanying it.

Subject to the timing and results of this beta cycle, Mosaic Communications
will release Mosaic Netscape 1.0, also available free for personal use
via the Internet.  It will be subject to license terms; please review them
when and if you obtain Mosaic Netscape 1.0.

A commercial version of Mosaic Netscape 1.0, including technical support from
Mosaic Communications, will be available upon completion of the
beta cycle.

Contact us at info@mcom.com for purchase details.

  IMPORTANT!  Before going any further, please
  read and accept the terms in the file LICENSE.

Mosaic Communications Corporation
Online BETA License Agreement

THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT TO WHICH YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND. IF YOU
DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.

 1.  Mosaic Communications Corporation ("MCom") grants to you a
non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, license to use version 0.9 beta of the
Mosaic Netscape network navigator (the "Software"), in binary executable
form for evaluation and trial use purposes only.

2.  MCOM MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY OF THIS SOFTWARE OR
ABOUT ANY CONTENT OR INFORMATION MADE ACCESSIBLE BY THE SOFTWARE, FOR ANY
PURPOSE.  THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED
GRATUITOUSLY AND, ACCORDINGLY, MCOM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER ANY THEORY
OR ANY DAMAGES SUFFERED BY YOU OR ANY USER OF THE SOFTWARE. MCOM WILL NOT
SUPPORT THIS SOFTWARE AND WILL NOT ISSUE UPDATES TO THIS SOFTWARE.

3.  All content accessed through the Software is the property of the
applicable content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright law.
This License gives you no rights to such content.

4. While MCom intends to distribute a commercial release of the Software,
MCom reserves the right at any time not to release a commercial release of
the Software or, if released, to alter prices, features, specifications,
capabilities, functions, licensing terms, release dates, general
availability or other characteristics of the commercial release.

5.  Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the
Software shall remain in MCom and/or its suppliers. You agree to abide by
the copyright law and all other applicable laws of the United States
including, but not limited to, export control laws. You acknowledge that
the Software in source code form remains a confidential trade secret of
MCom and/or its suppliers and therefore you agree not to modify the
Software or attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer
the Software, except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit
such restriction.

6.  MCom may terminate this License at any time by delivering notice to you
and you may terminate this License at any time by destroying or erasing
your copy of the Software.  Upon termination of this License, or in any
event within thirty (30) days following MCom's release of a commercial
version of the Software, you agree to destroy or erase the Software.  In
the event of termination, the following sections of this License will
survive: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.  This License is personal to you and you
agree not to assign your rights herein.  This License shall be governed by
and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California and,
as to matters affecting copyrights, trademarks and patents, by U.S. federal
law. This License sets forth the entire agreement between you and MCom.

7.  Use, duplication or disclosure by the Government is subject to
restrictions set forth in subparagraphs (a) through (d) of the Commercial
Computer-Restricted Rights clause at FAR 52.227-19 when applicable, or in
subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013, and in similar clauses in the NASA
FAR Supplement. Contractor/manufacturer is Mosaic Communications
Corporation, 650 Castro Street, Suite 500, Mountain View, CA 94041.

Mosaic Communications, the Mosaic Communications logo, Mosaic Netscape,
Mosaic Netsite and Mozilla are trademarks of Mosaic Communications
Corporation.

Copyright (c) 1994. Mosaic Communications Corporation. All rights reserved.

Mosaic Netscape requires System 7 and an 020 processor. It will not run on
a Mac Plus, SE, Classic, or Powerbook 100. It will run on an SE/30, Classic II,
other Powerbooks, and any Mac II-series machine. It will also run on Power
Macintoshes. It does not require a color monitor, but at least 256 colors are
very much recommended.

Release notes for this version of Mosaic Netscape are available online.
After starting the program, select "Version Information" from the
"Help" menu. This will take you to the URL

http://home.mcom.com/home/help-on-version/macintosh-beta-0.9.html

which lists new features and known problems of this release.

To submit bugs or other feedback, use the "How To Give Feedback" option,
also in the "Help" menu, which will take you to the URL

http://home.mcom.com/home/how-to-give-feedback.html

If for some reason you cannot submit feedback using that form, you may
send email to mac_cbug@mcom.com. If submitting a bug report, check the known
bug list first. Please be as specific as possible about the version of
Mosaic Netscape you are using, and the hardware (CPU, monitor), and
version of the OS. If possible, include a test case for the problem,
including a URL.

An up-to-date listing of mirror sites can be obtained at any time
by sending email to release@mcom.com.

Subject to the timing and results of this beta cycle, Mosaic Communications
will release Mosaic Netscape 1.0, also available free for personal use
via the Internet.  It will be subject to license terms; please review them
when and if you obtain Mosaic Netscape 1.0.

A commercial version of Mosaic Netscape 1.0, including technical support
from Mosaic Communications, will be available upon completion of the
beta cycle.  Contact us at info@mcom.com for more information.

Have fun!

Marc and the gang
info@mcom.com, http://mosaic.mcom.com/

> Mosaic Communications Corporation is a making a public version of Mosaic
> Netscape 0.9 Beta available for anonymous FTP.  Mosaic Netscape is a
> built-from-scratch Internet navigator featuring performance optimized for
> 14.4 modems, native JPEG support, and more.

As blown away as you may have been by seeing the original Mosaic
for the first time, Netscape is even more impressive.

Besides being faster, easier to use and more rubust than Mosaic,
it elegantly handles news and mail.

It's terribly, terrible impressive.

John M. Saylor    	          	email: JMS1@cornell.edu
Director        	o           phone: 607-255-4134
Engineering Library    '<,     fax:   607-255-9606
Cornell University     />      http://www.englib.cornell.edu/jms/jms.html
Ithaca, NY 14853-0221 ----- High Noon AC-Ithaca
                                (0-0)
| Peter D. Verheyen, Rare Books Conservator, Cornell University Library |
|                B-39 Olin Library, Ithaca, NY 14850                    |
|     <wk> 607/255-2484 Email: pdv1@cornell.edu <fax> 607/255-9346      |
oOO
                               |__|__|
                                || ||