From: book_arts-l
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: How to fix warped covers?
Date: Monday, October 24, 1994 1:25PM

>On Mon, 17 Oct 1994, Jim Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I have just acquired a rather scarce technical book, printed in Japan in
>> 1954.  Both its front and back covers are uniformly warped, bulging
upward
>> from top to bottom, downward from side to side.  There is no evidence of
>> water damage either on the cloth binding or on the pages of the book.
 It's
>> as if the cloth had shrunk, bending the covers smoothly in the process.
>> Can anyone give me a hint as to how to fix this problem, or who might be
>> able to fix it for me?  Although only 50 years old and probably not a
>> true rarity, I've been looking for a copy for over ten years, so I don't
>> want to simply put it aside and wait until the next copy shows - that may
>> never happen.
>>
>>From your description it seems as though the covers are permanently
>warped, and I can't think of any remedy for that. The same sometimes
>happens with books printed & bound in England, in a constantly damp
>environment, when they arrive in steam-heated, dry U.S. spaces. If the
>book is not being bought for possible resale, but just for reading, I
>think the answer is to have the book re-bound.
>
>--Steve

As to your warped boards... It might work if you were to score or cut
parallel
lines to the more pronounced warp ( cut into boards a0 and paste a 70-80 lb.
te
xt sheet over existing paste-down inside boards which when dry will pul
boards
flat... hopefully.    If you don't fell comfortable since the warp is in two
dirrections , contact a binder in your area.. It"s a simple think which
should"
nt take any time.
 D  Sanders