Position at Princeton University Libraries

Princeton University Libraries will soon have an opening for a
General Collections Conservator.  See vacancy announcement below.
This position is an excellent opportunity for a successful veteran
collections conservator who wishes to help us continue to shape our
growing and evolving general collections treatment program.  The
person we hire will have an excellent track record as a supervisor
and manager as well as a collections conservator.  This person will
have the following skills (in random order):  be a people person, ie
know how to listen to as well as to supervise unit staff; be an
excellent communicator with professional colleagues in the
Preservation Office as well as a preservation advocate to all staff
throughout the entire library; have excellent handskills; be very
proficient at using a Macintosh computer; be an excellent trainer
both in conveying instructions concerning treatment procedures and
techniques as well as the context within which treatments are
performed; be a good writer as writing reports and memos ARE part of
the job.  This person will subscribe to our general collections
treatment philosophy: high quality (in terms of materials utilized,
execution of the treatment/technical hand skills, and appropriateness
and soundness of the treatment), aesthetics (how the item looks after
treatment: it must look good, not simply be utilitarian and
workmanlike), production (we work in a high production shop with
treatment time standards established in-house as well as a point
system which allocates treatment staff resources throughout the
library system).  In other words, we want treatments which are "neat,
quick, tough, and nondamaging."  At times the General Collections
Conservator will also work with the Special Collections Paper
Conservator on various projects related to rare book conservation
issues.

The Princeton University Libraries are seventeen in number--the main
Firestone Library and 16 subject libraries--and comprise 4.5 million
books, plus a bunch of other stuff, most of it in special
collections.  The Preservation Office is 4500 sq ft of mostly open
space which was entirely renovated in 1992-93.  This includes
custom-designed cabinetry and work benches and new conservation
equipment.  The units which share this space are:  Collections
Conservation (1900 sq ft), Special Collections Conservation (400 sq
ft), and the Arabic Preservation (microfilming) Project (320 sq ft).
There are now 12 work stations for general collections conservation
staff, students, volunteers, and interns with 4 more currently under
construction.  The rest of the territory is divided among office
space (my own) and materials and equipment storage.  In other words,
we have a clean, well-lighted place with one wall of windows.  We are
also developing a large in-house reference collection of books and
videos on preservation, conservation and the book arts as well as
books related to special subject or format collections with our
Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.  Macintosh
computers are de rigueur throughout the Preservation Office and every
computer is networked with email and Internet access.  All the staff
in the Preservation Office are highly skilled and motivated.

Due to policy within the Library, we cannot post the salary of the
position.  It IS directly related to the candidate's education and
experience.  The candidate who meets our qualifications and whom we
ultimately select will be offered an excellent starting salary.
Anyone interested in speaking with me about the position may call me
at 609-258-5591 or email at the address in the header of this
message.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Libraries

PLEASE POST          PRINCETON UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES

Position:	General Collections Conservator

Available:	Spring 1995

		Unit within the Preservation Office.  This
		includes planning, organizing, and staffing all
preservation activities for the physical care of the Princeton
University Libraries general collections.  Specific responsibilities
include:  sets treatment standards and production levels, including
materials sorting, treatment decisions, workflow, documentation,
inventory control, contracting, and quality assurance; manages
computer-based point system which tracks and provides statistics
about treatment production and staff resource sfor seventeen (17)
libraries; acts as advisor to all library staff regarding damaged and
deteriorated materials, including recommending treatment options,
priorities, and courses of action; manages unit-specific budget for
materials, tools, and equipment and maintains inventories of same;
manages preservation activities originating from in-house
microfilming and brittle books programs, including materials repair,
disposition and storage of master negative microfilm, and contract
preservation photocopying and boxing; provides assistance in disaster
recovery, including staff training and supplies; treats materials
from the general collections; supervises one professional and three
full time conservation technical staff, plus students, hourly
assistants, volunteers, and interns, including selection, training,
and evaluation.  It is expected that the overall ratio of managerial
activities to bench work will be approximately 60/40.  Reports
directly to the Preservation Librarian.

Qualifications:	Five years (5) experience in management or line
		positions in a general collections conservation

		program in a research library, including three or
more years experience as a supervisor and a demonstrated ability to
successfully lead and manage a diverse staff, is required.  Current
knowledge of and experience in ethics, practices, and techniques
employed in the conservation of library materials, including broad
knowledge and experience in bookbinding and book conservation, are
required.  Advanced level ability in operating Macintosh computers,
including extensive experience with Excel and PageMaker for
collections conservation applications, is required.  Must have
excellent interpersonal skills and work effectively with others.
Desirable:  Completion of a recognized collections conservation
training program or a formal apprenticeship, or demonstration of a
similar level of education and training.  A masters degree from an
ALA-accredited library school or book arts program, or the equivalent
in training and experience.

Benefits:	Twenty-four (24) vacation days a year, plus eleven
		(11) paid holidays.  Annuity program (TIAA/CREF),

		group life insurance, health coverage insurance, and
disability insurance, all paid for by the University.  Staff housing
and University-sponsored mortgages.

Salary and  	Dependent upon qualifications and experience.
rank:		Position may be a Librarian position or a

		Professional Technical Staff position.

To ensure full consideration, candidates should send applications,
including resume and the names, titles, addresses and telephone
numbers of three references to be contacted, postmarked by February
1, 1995 to:

	Search Committee for General Collections Conservator
	c/o Maria G. Gopel, Human Resources Librarian
	Princeton University Libraries
	One Washington Road
	Princeton, New Jersey   08544

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
EMPLOYER