Re: Bone folders

If you want real hand-fashioned bone folders, from real bone, they can
be had from Jim Croft, Box 211, Santa ID 83866. He lives in the
mountains, so you can't phone him up. He trades old Chevy parts to
hunters who bring elk bones (clavicles) down from the hills. They
make very smooth folders. He also makes amazing bone folders from
lignin litae (not sure about the spelling here--very very hard and
somewhat rare wood), of a dark-brown/green color. I have two of his
elk and two wooden ones that I treasure.
By the way, he will be teaching a class in making these kinds of tools
at the next Paper & Book Intensive, May 17-26, 1995, at the Penland
School in Penland, NC. I'll post the PBI brochure when it's ready in
December.