RE: Joint Tacketing

WOuld this be the method described by Robert Espinosa? If so yes I have
tried on a wide range of materials and it works really well. With it you can
securely reattach the boards of even larger books (I do think there is a
size limit though, somewhere) before doing the Japanese paper repairs. It is
nearly invisible as well which is a plus.

Don Etherington who helped pioneer the Japanese paper repair of bindings had
some very good handouts which were distributed at the '91 Guild of Book
Workers Standards Conference. Other than that I haven't seen anything
published. Another good person to contact about that type of repair is Frank
Mowery at the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington. He gave a
presentation on doing the tissue repairs on vellum bindings at this past
Standards Conference in Dallas. Same technique, but with some variations.

Peter
                                (0-0)
| Peter D. Verheyen, Rare Books Conservator, Cornell University Library |
|                B-39 Olin Library, Ithaca, NY 14850                    |
|     <wk> 607/255-2484 Email: pdv1@cornell.edu <fax> 607/255-9346      |
oOO
                               |__|__|
                                || ||