Re: paper for color photocopying

>I am beginning to experiement with using color photocopying to create
>books.  I have talked with my local photocopier and, while their
>experience with the photocopier is good, their knowledge of paper is
>not.  They use slick laser paper in two weights.  The light weight
>registers as acid-free using the abbey pen method, the heavier weight,
>which is the one I would like to use, registers as acidic.
>
>Anyone out there with experience in this area?  I'd love to hear more
>about paper, especially brand names of paper used successfully and/or
>acid-free.  Also, any hints on working with the machine or operators (i
>doubt I'll get to play with it myself for a long time, if ever).

I have used color laser for quite a while now and have seen others use it.
One can achieve really great results with it. One example which comes to
mind is Monique Lallier's use of it on her binding of Forger L'efroi where
she used it as an only on leather.

The problems with it. Nothing really sticks to the surface. THe
toner/pigment has a silcone it I'm told. The other is, and this is something
I noticed on Monique's binding, it abrades of relatively easily. I
discovered it when the books for the GBW exhibition were at Cornell, and I
was able to see them after 2 years.

If it goes through the machine the toner will stick. I've put through
everything from Japanese paper to handmade western paper to cardstock.
Basically the same the rules as with any other copier. As for acid-free or
not that depends where you want to use it. If you use it as a leather onlay
onlay on leather it's irrelevant, leather is acidic, if you use it on the
outside of a book and your board isn't oh well, and you can always line the
insides with acidfree paper. You could also make your copies on acidfree paper.

If yu develop a relationship with the operators, the library copy center for
instance, and give them the impression you know what you're doing, and spend
enough money, they'll let you play, after a while. What's also fun is
reversing colors, playing with the x and y axis etc...

Have fun, Peter

Oh, I'm still working on your response to the springback binding question.
                                (0-0)
| Peter D. Verheyen, Rare Books Conservator, Cornell University Library |
|                B-39 Olin Library, Ithaca, NY 14850                    |
|     <wk> 607/255-2484 Email: pdv1@cornell.edu <fax> 607/255-9346      |
                               |__|__|
                                || ||
                               ooO Ooo