Re: Waxes

I've never tried waxes on rotted leather, so I don't speak from exoerience, but
I doubt that it would do much except gum them up and turn them a darker color.
There is some stuff I used many moons ago called Pliantex that I had to order
from England.  I believe Bernard Middleton suggested it.  Anyway, it worked
pretty well for consolidating rotting leather.  I don't know if it's still
available, but there might be, by this time, another consolidant that works
just as well if not better.  Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
Michael

Michael McColgin, Preservation Officer                    Phone: (602) 542-4159
Arizona State Archives                                    Fax:   (602) 542-4402
1700 West Washington                          Internet: mimccol@dlapr.lib.az.us
Phoenix, AZ  85007

                     Conservators make it last longer.