Re: professional leather splitting/ paring

Dear Steven Hales:
I have used Lomelis Bros. for years to split goatskins, primarily for
the purposes you want, i.e., to have presplit skins for labels and
other uses.  They are very good and usually prompt in filling an
order.  Their minimum charge is now about $50.00, but I think this
charge is for any amount up to at least 4 dozen skins; you could
inquire of them about this.  You need to tell them the weight you
want the skins skived/split; for labels, I usually request that they
split to just under 1 oz.  You could also send them a small sample of
the weight you want, and they will match it.
Barbara Blumenthal (professional bookbinder and library assistant,
Smith College Library Mortimer Rare Book Room)