leather marbling

Hi all. Has anyone had success in making tree calf or acid marbled
leather? Care to share the secret of your success? I have tried a recipe
from Diderot and d'Alembert (as conveyed by Denis Gouey), but with no
luck. Denis said he didn't have any luck with it either. Here's what I've
tried, for what it's worth. I poured 3 molar Sulphuric acid on a piece of
tan colored vegetable calf, sprinkled copper sulfate on the top, let it
sit for 5 minutes, and washed it off with water. Nothing. Should I let it
sit longer? Are modern leathers tanned differently than 18th century
leathers in a way that prevents marbling? Any tips?

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815