New York Book History Consortium

                                        Date:     03-Feb-1995 05:04pm EST
                                        From:     Rose, Jonathan
                                                  JEROSE
                                        Dept:     FAC/STAFF
                                        Tel No:   (201)-408-3545

TO: Press SH to view recipients.

Subject: New York Book History Consortium

DREW UNIVERSITY TO LAUNCH NEW YORK AREA BOOK HISTORY CONSORTIUM

	In March 1994, academics, librarians, and independent scholars met
at the New York Public Library met to discuss plans for a cooperative
program of graduate-level studies in the history of the book.  Under this
proposal, several participating universities would each offer at least one
graduate course per year in book history (broadly defined).  Students at
participating institutions would be able to cross-register for any course
in the program and transfer credits.  No new degrees would be created: the
consortium would serve students in history, literature, library science,
art, and other existing disciplines.

	We had hoped that the New York Public Library itself would provide
a  headquarters for the consortium--but when that did not materialize,
Drew University offered a base of operations.  Last December the Drew
Graduate School created a Center for the History of the Book to manage
this and other book historical activities.

	A planning meeting to get the consortium under way has been
scheduled for 3:00 to 5:00 pm on 2 March in the Third Floor Studio at
the CUNY Graduate Center in Manhattan (33 W. 42nd Street).  We will begin
drafting a program of courses, with a projected launch date of Fall 1996.
We will also recruit one contact person for each campus, to help with such
organizational matters as coordinating several registrar's offices.  No
RSVP is required, and all interested parties are welcome.  If you have any
questions, contact Jonathan Rose, History Department, Drew University,
Madison, NJ 07940, jerose@drew.drew.edu.

	For anyone who is interested in planning on-campus activities with
the Drew University Center for the History of the Book (and you need not
be a member of the Drew community) there will be an organizational meeting
from 5:00 to 6:00 pm on 27 February in the Second Floor Conference Room at
the Drew University Library.  But if you're specifically interested in the
consortium, only the CUNY meeting is crucial.  (If you can't make it but
are still interested in participating, send us a note telling us what
courses you might contribute.)

	A fuller report on all this will appear in the next SHARP
newsletter, which is just now being mailed out.  We hope you can join what
promises to be a major new enterprise in book history education.

Cordially,

Jonathan Rose