Are you qualified (by the government) to conserve?

Congress amended the National Historic Preservation Act in 1992. THe
amendment requires the Secretary of the Interior to revise existing
professional qualification standards for disciplines including conservation,
not only of architectural elements, but also of books and paper. Under the
Secretary's proposal, a conservator would be required to have A MINIMUM OF A
GRADUATE DEGREE IN CONSERVATION PLUS ONE YEAR OF DEMONSTRABLE EXPERIENCE to
be considered qualified in historic preservation. A draft of this proposed
standard is available and open for comment until FEBRUARY 15th.

Full text relevant to book and paper conservation follows as well as other
revisions and guidelines.

Interior/Historic Preservation Professional Qualifications Standards Draft
DRAFT--HISTORIC PRESERVATION PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
STANDARDS
Secretary of the Interior

H32(413)

Dear Colleague:

   I would like to invite you to share with us your views on the enclosed    proposed draft
revision of the Secretary of the Interior's "Historic    Preservation Professional Qualification
Standards." Many of you have    already given us your thoughts, and I thank you for your
valuable    insights. If you have not yet been involved, I welcome you to our    continuing
discussions on this important subject.

   This proposed draft revision is our best synthesis at this time of    diverse comments raised
during discussions with State Historic    Preservation Offices, the federal Office of Personnel
Management,    federal agency historic preservation staff, Tribal cultural    preservationists,
local government historic preservation programs,    professional societies, historic preservation
academic programs, and    other interested parties. We recognize that this draft does not
reflect all views and opinions on the subject, and we want to broaden    our discussions of
issues and solutions by inviting a wider range of    organizations and individuals to get
involved. As always, we are most    interested in your views, and we encourage you to
discuss the proposed    draft with your historic preservation colleagues.

   The proposed revisions to the Standards are on white paper in the    enclosed material.
Highlights of key features of the proposed    revisions are shown on the colored pages.

   Please provide your comments by February 15, 1995 to the    Preservation Planning
Branch, Attention: Susan L. Henry, Interagency    Resources Division, National Park Service,
P.O. Box 37127, Washington,    D.C. 20013-7127. Comments may also be sent by fax
(202-343-1836) or    Internet (sue_henry@nps.gov). If you have any questions, please
contact Sue Henry at (202) 343-9514.

   Sincerely,
    de Teel Patterson Tiller
    Acting Chief, Interagency Resources Division

    Enclosures
*********************************

  THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR'S
  HISTORIC PRESERVATION

  THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR'S
  HISTORIC PRESERVATION
  PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION STANDARDS

CONSERVATION

   A GRADUATE DEGREE IN CONSERVATION (OR A CLOSELY RELATED AREA OF
STUDY)

   PLUS

   AT LEAST ONE YEAR OF DEMONSTRABLE EXPERIENCE IN APPLYING THE
METHODS    AND PRACTICES OF CONSERVATION IN THE HISTORIC
PRESERVATION ARENA

   Areas of study closely related to Conservation include, but are not    limited to, Art
Conservation, Architectural Conservation, Textiles    Conservation, and Object Conservation.

   Demonstrable experience in applying the methods and practices of    Conservation in the
historic preservation arena includes, but is not    limited to, the following:
    1. Scholarly research, publications, papers, or similar research and        writings on the
theory or practices of conservation of material        culture significant to the history or
prehistory of the United        States and its Territories; OR,
    2. Teaching the theory or practices of Conservation of material        culture significant to
the history or prehistory of the United        States and its Territories; OR,
    3. Administrative, project review, or supervisory experience in an        historic
preservation program or office (academic institution,        historical organization or agency,
museum, cultural resources        management consulting firm, or similar professional
institution)        with direct experience in the conservation of material culture
significant to the history or prehistory of the United States and        its Territories; OR,
    4. Field or laboratory work in Conservation that emphasizes the        treatment or
documentation of historic material culture, historic        properties, or the historic or
prehistoric built environment of        the United States and its Territories.

BACKGROUND

WHAT ARE THE SECRETARY'S "PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION STANDARDS?"

   The Secretary of the Interior is charged with developing standards and    guidance for the
practice of historic preservation under the National    Historic Preservation Act. The Secretary
has delegated this    responsibility to the National Park Service. The "Professional
Qualification Standards" are one part of the Secretary's "Standards    and Guidelines for
Archeology and Historic Preservation."
   The protection and preservation of this nation's significant historic    and cultural properties
depends upon the participation of all our    citizens. However, certain decisions affecting
these properties need    to be made by individuals meeting nationally recognized credentials
in    order to secure the credibility of historic preservation within the    larger public arena at
the federal, state, and local levels, as well    as in the private sector.

   The Secretary of the Interior's "Professional Qualification Standards"    describe in terms of
academic attainment, training, and experience    minimum professional standards for a
number of professional    disciplines routinely practicing in historic preservation today. These
  Standards are neither "entry-level" nor do they describe    qualifications for pre-eminent
master professionals in the field.    Rather, they describe the minimum education and
experience which, in    the opinion of the Secretary of the Interior, qualifies select
individuals to produce professionally credible and competent work    within both the historic
preservation arena and in the larger public    arena nationwide.

   PLEASE NOTE: THESE STANDARDS ARE ADVISORY.

   THEY ARE NOT REQUIREMENTS FOR PRACTICING HISTORIC PRESERVATION
EXCEPT WHERE THEY ARE MADE REQUIREMENTS BY FEDERAL, STATE, OR
LOCAL    GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS OR PROCEDURES, OR BY PRIVATE
ORGANIZATION    PERSONNEL RULES. (For more information, see the last page in this
package, "Proposed Revisions, Uses of the Standards.")
    WHY ARE THE STANDARDS BEING REVISED?

   The practice of historic preservation has evolved and matured since    the Standards were
first established in the 1970s, and it is    appropriate to up-date them. In addition, Congress
amended the    National Historic Preservation Act in 1992, calling for the revision    of the
existing professional qualifications standards and the    establishment of standards for
additional disciplines.
    WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE REVISION PROJECT?
     * In keeping with Vice President Al Gore's "Reinventing Government,"        to provide
States and local governments with the flexibility to        respond to their needs by expanding
board and commission expertise        from among the broad spectrum of professional
disciplines working        in historic preservation.
     * To up-date and expand the Secretary's "Professional Qualification        Standards"
within the context of contemporary historic        preservation thinking and practice.
     * To relate the "Professional Qualification Standards" specifically        to work in
historic preservation.
     * To strengthen the credibility of work in historic preservation as        it is viewed by
professionals not only in each discipline, but        also by others working in and associated
with historic        preservation.
     * To provide guidance on recognizing appropriate skills and        experience necessary
for credible historic preservation work.
    HOW ARE THE STANDARDS BEING REVISED?

   The materials in this package represent one step in the continuing,    lengthy revision
process that will eventually result in an official    notice in the Federal Register requesting
comments, followed by    subsequent revision and publication of the final version of the
Standards. You will have several opportunities to participate in    refining these draft
Standards.

   The National Park Service has spoken with a number of relevant    professional societies,
the Office of Personnel Management and other    federal agencies, the Federal Preservation
Forum, the National    Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers, several State
Historic Preservation Offices, local government historic preservation    programs, American
Indian Tribes, and the National Council on    Preservation Education to identify issues. These
discussions formed    the basis for an initial draft revision of the Standards. We    circulated
this early draft to those we had spoken with, and asked for    their feedback.

   The proposed draft revision in this package is the result of that    feedback. We recognize
that this current draft does not represent all    possible views on the subject. Therefore, we
are now sending this out    to a much wider range of groups and organizations for additional
 input. It is important that the views and opinions of those of you who    have an interest in
this subject are reflected in the final product.    We encourage you to review these materials,
talk with your colleagues    in historic preservation, and share with us your views and
opinions.    We look forward to hearing from you.

   If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Sue Henry by    phone
(202-343-9514), by fax (202- 343-1836), via Internet    (sue_henry@nps.gov), or in writing to
Ms. Henry at the Preservation    Planning Branch, Interagency Resources Division, National
Park    Service, P.O. Box 37127, Washington, D.C. 20013-7127

CURRENT LANGUAGE

THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR'S "PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
STANDARDS"

   (These current Standards are found in 36 CFR 61 Appendix A and in the    Secretary of
the Interior's "Standards and Guidelines for Archeology    and Historic Preservation" in
Federal Register v.48 n.190 Part IV    p.44738-44739, September 30, 1983.)

  HISTORY

   The minimum professional qualifications in history are a graduate    degree in history or
closely related field; or a bachelor's degree in    history or closely related field plus one of
the following:      1. At least two years of full-time experience in research, writing,
teaching, interpretation or other demonstrable professional        activity with an academic
institution, historical organization or        agency, museum, or other professional institution;
or,      2. Substantial contribution through research and publication to the        body of

PROPOSED REVISION SUMMARY HIGHLIGHTS
  THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR'S PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
STANDARDS
  DISCIPLINES

   CURRENT

        Archeology (Prehistoric & Historic)

        Architectural History

        Architecture

        Historic Architecture

        History

   PROPOSED

        Archaeology is split in two:

              Prehistoric Archaeology

              Historical Archaeology

        Architectural History

        Architecture

        Historic Architecture is dropped*

        History

        Disciplines added:
                Conservation
                Cultural Anthropology
                Curation
                Folklore
                Historic Preservation
                Land Use/Community Planning
                Landscape Architecture
                Traditional Cultural Property Expertise

   * Historic Architecture has been dropped because the need in the    current standards for a
discipline that combines the expertise of    architecture and historic preservation is met in the
proposed    Standards by requiring historic preservation in the experience    category.

  EDUCATION:

   CURRENT
          In general:

          + a graduate degree in the discipline

   PROPOSED
          In general:

          + a graduate degree in the discipline
          + PLUS additional experience.

  EXPERIENCE:

   CURRENT

          + NONE with a graduate degree (except archeology).            + Where an
undergraduate degree is an option, one to two years             additional experience in
research, scholarship, or similar             pursuits at a university, museum, or history-related
          organization.

        PROPOSED
                In general:

               o one year of demonstrable experience in historic                  preservation by:
                   1. Scholarly research and publications; or                     2. Teaching; or
                   3. Administration, project review, or supervision in                       an
historic preservation program or office; or                     4. Field work.

                Experience must have focused on the historic/prehistoric                 places or
material culture of the United States and its                 Territories.

  PROPOSED REVISIONS SUMMARY HIGHLIGHTS USES OF THE SECRETARY OF
THE INTERIOR'S   "PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION STANDARDS"

    THERE IS NO CHANGE:

   The Secretary's "Professional Qualification Standards" are still    intended to provide advice
about minimum education and experience    needed to produce professionally credible and
competent work in    historic preservation. The Standards are neither "entry-level" nor do
they describe qualifications for pre-eminent master professionals in    the field. Users of these
Standards are free to enhance them with    additional educational and experience
qualifications that may be    needed in certain situations.

   These Standards are broadly used throughout the national historic    preservation program
by federal agencies, the Advisory Council on    Historic Preservation, State Historic
Preservation Offices, Certified    Local Governments, and others. For example:

          Agreements made under Section 106 of the National Historic           Preservation
Act routinely call for the Standards to be used in           designing contracts, scopes of work,
employee position           descriptions, and components of federal agency preservation
plans.
          The Standards are used by local governments in establishing           professional
qualifications for preservation employees and           contractors in determining the adequacy
of project proposals by           preservation groups, architect and engineering firms, and
  others.
          The use of the Standards is required in State Historic           Preservation Office
programs through federal regulation (36 CFR           61; see reverse of this page).
          The Standards are routinely used by federal agencies, programs,           and
installations in developing and carrying out historic           preservation programs.

   The Standards DO NOT dictate who can prepare National Register    nominations.

   The Standards DO NOT dictate who can be hired (with the few    exceptions noted above).

   The Standards DO NOT represent minimum qualifications for    entry-level positions.

   The Standards DO NOT dictate Federal agency hiring practices UNLESS    other Federal
regulations and/or agency policies and procedures    require the use of these Standards.
  PROPOSED REVISIONS TO FEDERAL REGULATIONS (36 CFR 61) FOR STATE
HISTORIC   PRESERVATION OFFICE PROGRAMS IN RESPONSE TO PROPOSED
REVISION OF THE   STANDARDS

    STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE STAFF

    * THERE IS NO CHANGE. SHPO Offices are still required to have a    minimum of
three full- time professional disciplines on staff: one    Historian, one Architectural Historian,
and one Archaeologist (either    Historical or Prehistoric).

    STATE REVIEW BOARD MEMBERSHIP

    * PROPOSED CHANGES:
     * FOUR (instead of five) professional disciplines are required to be        represented on
the Board: (1) Archaeologist, (2) Architectural        Historian, (3) Architect, and (4)
Historian.
     * The Archaeologist may be EITHER an Historical Archaeologist OR a        Prehistoric
Archaeologist.
     * The current requirement that the majority of Board members be        "professionals" as
defined by the Standards can now be met from        among the 13 proposed disciplines.

    CERTIFIED LOCAL GOVERNMENT REVIEW COMMISSION MEMBERSHIP

    * THERE IS NO CHANGE. Professional disciplines are required on    Commissions only
to the degree that they are available in the    community. States and local governments
continue to have the    flexibility to impose stricter requirements, if they choose.
    "GRANDFATHER" PROVISIONS

   State Historic Preservation Office staff and members of State Review    Boards and
Certified Local Government Review Commissions who meet the    current standards will
continue to meet the revised Standards as long    as they hold their current positions.

    WORK FUNDED BY THE HISTORIC PRESERVATION FUND

    * THERE IS NO CHANGE. It is still required that work funded by the    Historic
Preservation Fund or matching share must meet the relevant    Secretary of the Interior's
"Standards for Archeology and Historic    Preservation." It is still required that this work
must be carried    out, supervised, or reviewed by professionals meeting the Secretary's
"Professional Qualification Standards."

   NOTE: We have also prepared draft language for revising the text of    36 CFR 61. If
having a copy of this would help you review the enclosed    materials, you can get a copy by
contacting the Preservation Planning    Branch at the address provided earlier in these
materials.
                                (0-0)
| Peter D. Verheyen, Rare Books Conservator, Cornell University Library |
|                B-39 Olin Library, Ithaca, NY 14850                    |
|     <wk> 607/255-2484 Email: pdv1@cornell.edu <fax> 607/255-9346      |
                               |__|__|
                                || ||
                               ooO Ooo