a sprinkling method

Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel here, but I haven't heard of this
technique for sprinkling before, and it really works well. Take a piece of
tan colored calf, and swab it with hydrated potassium carbonate. This will
darken the leather some. Lay it on a flat surface and lightly spray it
with a fine mist from an atomizer loaded with copperas (solution of
ferrous sulphate). Voila! You could do this before or after making the
covers.

I think this has a significant advantage over sprinkling with a
dye-soaked wire brush over a screen, or whacking a brush over a pipe.
There is no mess, no dye to get everywhere, nothing to wash afterward.
The atomizer I used was just a water spritzer designed for plants. Just
one or two spritzes does the trick. You get fine, needle-point dots on
the leather.

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815