New book available

Umbrella Associates is offering to all membersof Book_Arts-L a special
pre-publication price for a new book by Buzz Spector, recognized artist,
critic and theoretician on contemporary art, who is now a Distinguished
Professor at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. Spector has
been writing about books, which he uses in hiw own work, since we are in
an age when the book as a conveyor of culture, its traditional purpose,
is under assault at the hands of the electronic media.  Rather than
focusing on a sense of loss, Spector has created a body of work which
transforms the book from an object of communication into an object of
the imagination, metaphorically encouraging a "memory of reading". In
these essays, all of which have been rewriting, but many of which have
been reprinted from Artforum, Dialogue, exhibition catalog essays,
symposia, etc., Spector explores the act of reading, the fetishism of
the book object, meditations on Broodthaers and Baldessari, Anselm
Kiefer and Walter Hamady, as well as some new essays written especially
for this book.

For you all, as a courtesy, I am offering a pre-publication price of
$9.95 plus $2.50 postage and handling through 31 March 1995.  The book
will be published in March, but I thought you'd like to take advantage
of this offer.  This will be a fine addition to your library.  Send your
check to Umbrella Associates, P.O. Box 3640, Santa Monica, CA 90403.  As
soon as it is printed, it will be sent to you in the mail.  Prepayment
is necessary for this special offer--or I can do a proforma invoice if
you need one.

Sincerely,
Judith A. Hoffberg, Editor & Publisher, Umbrella Editions