No Subject

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 19:03:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: paper mending tip
To: book_arts-l@cornell.edu

This may be something everyone else has known for a long time, but it was a
new discovery for us.  I heard that lithostones were useful in paper mending
since they absorb the mosture from Japanese tissue strips leaving an even
paste film behind.  I tried it, and it worked just fine.  However, I was
reluctant to haul my lithostone into work, so I needed an alternative since
we do a lot of paper mending from time to time at the library.  Our solution
is a pizza stone, much cheaper and easier to carry than a lithostone.  You
will need to sand one side of it nice and smooth, then mend away.  It works
even better than the lithostone.  The square ones are better than the round
ones for mending purposes, but any old pizza/baking stone from your local
gourmet cooking store will do.
Cheers to all, from Dorothy and Ira at Harvard Law Library