[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

re: carousel & tunnel books

>>    carousel books 
>>    tunnel books 
>>    gestural handwriting 

Tunnel books contain multiple pages hinged together accordion style, with
cut outs allowing the viewer to look through the book, as a "tunnel", with
an image that goes back through the multiple image planes created by the
sequenced pages. 

Carousel books is a new term for me, but might be another name for what I
know as Whirlwind Binding: a folded edge paper structure (as in Japanese
binding) with a hinged case. It opens like an accordion fold, in that the
hinged pages pull out for simultaneous viewing, but instead of the covers
being separate, the end pages are fixed in position by the hinged case.
Thus it creates a circular form. 

I'll bet Carol Barton would know for sure. If no one else responds this
week, I'll call her. 

BTW-- the info about Center for Book Arts classes in Peter's forwarded note
is obsolete. The current way to get information (besides calling 212
460-9768) is to set your web browser to: 


There are links there (the Center's home page) to classes, exhibits,
publications, etc.. The class schedule is point & click by subject and

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]