Watch for new information about artist books

The Cairo Public Library and I are putting together a program to involve
teenagers "at risk" in an ongoing bookmaking program.  As part of the
proposal we are asking for funds for software.  Has anyone had experience
with "ClickBook"?  I understand it organizes text into different layouts for
making books.  Can you recommend any other programs?  Thanks.

Don't cancel your subscription to Smithsonian Magazine.  Nancy Matthews at
Smithsonian Instituion Libraries (SIL) has confirmed that the June issue will
have an article tentatively called "Science defined by the hands of a book
artist".  It will have photographs of nine of the books from the show
"Science and the Artist's Book" that opens May 26 at the SIL Exhibition
Gallery (in the National Museum of American History) and Washington Project
for the Arts.

There's a new book out from Lark Books.  Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques
for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums (ISBN 0-937274-81-X), is
written and illustrated by bookartist, Shereen LaPlantz.  It is hardbound,
8.5" x 10.25", has 128 color photos, 46 b/w photos and a whopping 325
illustrations.  The retail price is $24.95.  If you order 5 copies or more
you can save over 40% by getting them directly from the distributor, Sterling
Books (800) 367-9692.  But I will warn you that the people at Sterling are
not easy to work with.  Your best bet is to ask for Lori Hovak in Special
Sales.

Finally, I wanted to thank everyone who helped with my language project.
 Words for the World is a tin pencil box with a map of the world on the
cover.  Inside are 15 pencils that carry the text.  Each pencil has English
on one side and another language on the other.  Thanks the the Book Arts
List, the languages will be Afrikaans, Arabic, Chinese, Ethiopian, French,
Hebrew, Malay, Mongolian, Russian, Spanish, Swahilee, Vietnamese and Zulu!
 The pencils are meant to encourage people to write their own "words for the
world".  The United Nations has designated 1995 as the Year for Tolerance.
 This is my contribution to the effort.