Audubon under vellum?

Dear Book Wizards,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier request for info on
fore-edge presses. What I finally did was make one myself. Not a big
surprise, I guess; bookbinders are do-it-yourselfers anyway. Since I was
just aiming for functionality, not beauty, it was totally easy, and only
cost maybe $15 in parts.

The real reason for this post is to ask for more advice. I may be
rebinding one of the Audubon 4to quadruped books. I was thinking of a full
vellum binding. The fun part would be to make color photocopies of two of
the plates, paste them on the covers, and cover them with transparent
vellum. Would this work? I have limited experience in vellum, and have
never used transparent vellum at all. Alternatively, instead of covering
the prints with the vellum, how about just varnishing them? Any thoughts
on this (including "you're crazy, stick to goatskin") appreciated.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815