RE: Audubon under vellum?

> The real reason for this post is to ask for more advice. I may be
> rebinding one of the Audubon 4to quadruped books. I was thinking of a full
> vellum binding. The fun part would be to make color photocopies of two of
> the plates, paste them on the covers, and cover them with transparent
> vellum. Would this work? I have limited experience in vellum, and have
> never used transparent vellum at all. Alternatively, instead of covering
> the prints with the vellum, how about just varnishing them? Any thoughts
> on this (including "you're crazy, stick to goatskin") appreciated.

Vellum would be great> I've done a number of bindings using the translucency
and transparency of vellum. Vellum bindings are actually quite easy, when
you know haw to tame the beast. I use a German split board case binding
technique in which you adhere a piece of 10pt card stock along the spine
edge only of the board. The case is then put together as any other normal
Bradel binding, I believe that's what it's called here.  When covering the
case I start from the center, pressing the vellum to the spine and joints by
using a piece of binders board (thicker than the covers) which has a piece
of thick blotter attached. After I paste out just the spine of the vellum (I
might also put a very thin layer of pva on the spine and joints of the case)
I position it, lay a piece of Remay on it and the the board blotter which is
as wide as the spine piece and the joints and put it in the press over night.
When that's dry I do the same thing to the sides which may or may not have
artwork on them. The turn-ins are done last. This structure greatly reduces
the amount of pull on the boards and as a result requires less counter
lining.

The problem you will have is with the color lasers. They have some kind of
silicon coating on them and the vellum WILL NOT stick. It's too active
hygroscopically and will pop right off.

It's a great use of the material though, and by dampening selected areas and
pressing them you can make them more transparent. Transparent vellum is just
that. You'll almost never be able to tell what the material is. Good lick,
and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Peter
                                (0-0)
| Peter D. Verheyen, Rare Books Conservator, Cornell University Library |
|                B-39 Olin Library, Ithaca, NY 14850                    |
|     <wk> 607/255-2484 Email: pdv1@cornell.edu <fax> 607/255-9346      |
                               |__|__|
                                || ||
                               ooO Ooo