No Subject

19 May 1995 19:30:20 -0400 (EDT)@
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 19:10:45 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: apprentice work
To: book_arts-L@cornell.edu

My apologies to Donald Farren for going against his parents' wishes and
renaming him Michael! And my thanks to the people who undertook more serious
investigation into the origins of Wayzgoose.  I am curious about the comment
from Donald that he has never come across such a thing as an apprentice's
exhibit piece from such a dinner.  Well, neither have I, but I have no idea
how I would know it unless there was an inscription or some such thing on the
piece.  I have certainly worked on some broadsides that were pretty hasty,
shoddy, inept pieces of work, if not all three, as well as very fine ones.
I guess the ultimate "proof" of accomplishment was a piece that didn't look
like student work for a novice in any trade, just as it is now.  Who knows, if
good old Giselbertus (not quite the right spelling) hadn't chiselled his name
on the stonework at Autun we still might not be signing anything!  I agree,
Donald, that the story of work being exhibited at the Wayzgoose could be a
modern, somewhat romantic, fiction, but it had to be done somewhere, so
why not?
Cheers to all in this season of graduation (including this year's crop of
bookbinders from North Bennet St. School, Congratulations, you guys.)
Dorothy Africa