Re: References for describing bindings> Message-ID:

> From: "Donald Farren" <p00244@psilink.com>
> Subject: Re: References for describing bindings
>
> >DATE:   Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:27:06 EST
> >FROM:   Keith Hulett <KHULETT@libris.libs.uga.edu>
> >
> >Could anyone on this list please recommend a reference work to help
> >me in doing descriptive local cataloging of private press books?
>
> The standard source for terms to use to describe bindings is _Binding
> Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections
> Cataloguing_ (Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries,
> 1988).

See _Bookbinding and the conservation of books: a dictionary of
descriptive terminology_ by Matt T. Roberts and Don Etherington,
published by the Library of Congress in 1982.  This is very helpful for
illuminating the terminology in _Binding Terms_.

I recommend you buy a copy, but you can also get access via Conservation
OnLine (CoOL), the fabulous conservation homepage by Walter Henry at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu. (I couldn't get in this morning to
verify, but usually the server is easy to access.)  You can also search
the archives of this list via CoOL.

Normandy Helmer
UO Library--Preservation
nhelmer@darkwing.uoregon.edu