Book Burning/Book Arts

Richard Minsky's description of his book burning, and his actions which I
take to be a noble history of the book artist as social/political activist,
make me ask a question which has been on my mind for some time. That is,
how do people on this list consider themselves and their work in the book
arts? Are you "book artists" or "bookmakers?" Are you publishers, literary
or otherwise, who employ hands-on or other bookmaking techniques? Are you
practitioners of traditional art forms? Are you practitioners of
non-traditional art forms? Is your book work part of a larger artistic
work which goes beyond the book? Is it part of a larger sense of
commitment/activism which goes beyond the arts altogether (I'm not certain
there IS anything "beyond the arts," but perhaps many of you do, so I
thought I'd throw this one in)? Is your work more narrowly defined as book
conservation or bookbinding or papermaking or printing or something else?

The answers to these questions may not be at all simple. As for myself, I
think of myself as a poet/bookmaker/publisher, whose work in books is an
exploration of the form as a conveyor of literary possibilities, but also
part of the work of poet and part of a more widely realized work in this
complex world. How it all issues into the world, and into books, is quite
various.

I apologize if this is a discussion carried out in this list many times in
the past. I'm relatively new here. Also, as the director of Minnesota
Center for Book Arts, the question has direct meaning to me as I try to
develop a sense of the multiple communities a book arts center speaks to
and with. So I appreciate all answers, and hope some lead to more focussed
discussions.

And thank you, Richard, for your moving description of your work related to
book burning and the Thor decision.

all best wishes

charles alexander
chax press