removing tight-back spines

I am restoring a tight-back that was handed to me with detached covers.
The tooling on the spine is intricate and complements the heavily gilt
boards. I would like to remove the leather on the spine with a view to
pasting it onto a new spine, so as to preserve the decoration. Of course
this is easy to do with hollow backs, but how can I safely remove the
leather on a tight-back? Heat it? Dampen it (I don't want to water-stain
the pages)? Any suggestions?

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815