Re: Repair of children's books

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 cstall@mail.sdsu.edu wrote:

> I also noticed that the pastedown/fly leaves are usually
> very important to the book and its overall look and/or story.  I hate to
> loose this part by covering up very much but we don't have a lot of time to
> soak off the end papers.

Regarding pictorial endpapers, this method worked for me when I rebound
Eco's _The Name of the Rose_. In that book, the pastedown and flyleaves
formed a map of the monastery. The front and back endpapers were the same.
This means, of course, that the image on the front pastedown is the same
as the image on the flyleaf in the back, and visa versa. So what I did is
remove the front and back flyleaves and tape them together (on the back,
not over the image) to form the complete map. Then I photocopied it onto
the appropriate acid-free paper. Voila, an infinite supply of new
endsheets, just like the original, no soaking involved.

Good luck,

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815