Repair of children's books

I work in a large academic library at a state sponsored university,
student

population runs 20th to 30thousand.  This library has a modest
collection

of children's books as part of the education curriculum.  It is also
used

extensively by the children of student, staff, and faculty.  I am
called

upon to repair these books when the need arises.  Some repairs are
fairly

minor but as the collection ages and we replace fewer items each
year, more

repair is needed.

Do you know of sources (books, articles, etc.) that deal with repairs

the unique format of the small child's book?  These are usually
picture

books.  Seems they are loved to death by so many readings and rough

handling by small children.

A lot are only one signature or at most 2-3.  The spine is a thick
piece of

narrow cardboard.  I also noticed that the pastedown/fly leaves are
usually

very important to the book and its overall look and/or story.  I hate

loose this part by covering up very much but we don't have a lot of
time to

soak off the end papers.

I am hoping that there exists a manual of repairs for these books.  I
just

can't seem to find one.  Thanks so much for any tips, citations, and

ideas.  You may contact me directly at my email address below.

Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit/Mendery
San Diego State University Library
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA  92182-8050

Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently.

cstall@mail.sdsu.edu
(619) 594-2591