Re: Virus on E-Mail

I'm going to nip this one before the bud forms. A virus cannot be
transmitted in an email message which is only ascii text. This is just like
the AOL "Good TImes" Hoax all over again. The only other way a virus can be
spread is in an EXECUTABLE attachment, ie a WORD, WORDPERFECT, EXCEL...
file. I cannot control what people send to the list, certainly not without
making this a very moderated list which is what we decided we didn't want.
THen I would get to catch all the viruses. The way not to catch viruses is
through practicing safe computing (sex), Don't share floppies, watch what
you get from ftp sites etc.

I hope this is the last I hear about this virus, although it is also very
important ot be vigilant.

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@mailbox.syr.edu
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu