Re: Paste Papers

I have been marbling for a few years and have been using Methyl Cellulose to
coat my papers before I use them in a box or binding.  I find that the
durability is vastly increased- especially when you're using cheap printing
paper, like most marblers.  I've also found that wax alone often will smudge
the colors.  but I like it after coating with MC
  My problem has been with finding the right type, or grade of MC and in what
concentration.  Sometimes I've gotten funny spots and hard areas.  I have
found that the Dow Methocel J75MS-N makes a very nice thin clear size that
doesn't leave shiny specks or hard ridges.  I believe that I used a teaspoon
in a cup of cold h2o, with a few drops of non- sudsing ammonia to dissolve
the MC- but you can experiment.  Some paper conservators make a very thin
solution which they spray on the surface- but I don't think that it's enough
to keep colors from running off marbled papers.

  Before they were sold historically, marbled papers were routinely gelatine,
or albumine coated, then burnished with an agate burnisher- a rather large
one with 2 handles- perhaps using a little wax to help the burnisher slide
easily.  Very often alum was added to help the gel to harden and become more
water insoluble.  Has anyone tried gelatine or albumine coating or sizing
their papers?  Do they think the strength and durability have increased?