Litho stones

I recently bought a lithographic stone (from American Science and Surplus
in Chicago, if anyone's interested).  The lettering on it is for some
kind of business form and is laid out as if you were looking at the form
itself.  I was showing it to a friend of mine who has an art background
and has done some other types of printing.  She wondered why the lettering
isn't reversed.  I don't know anything about lithography and I thought
maybe someone on the list might know.

Nancy Edstrom
Illinois State Historical Library